In our inaugural high school boys summer shootout, Wachusett captured the title defeating Concord-Carlisle in a shortened final. Strong inside play and timely outside shooting was the norm all day for Wachusett as the Central Mass power showed they still have plenty back for next season.
Concord-Carlisle had a tough road of games and headed into the championship game with only five players ready to go. Once star guard Jamir Henderson started to cramp, it was in the best interest of the players to call the game after Wachusett had jumped out to an 8-0 lead.
Although the final game did not transpire as all would have liked, the previous games leading to it were hard fought and provided a wonderful day of hoops for all involved. Here are the scoring recaps:
10:00 a.m. games
Medford 50 Silver Lake 40
Bishop Feehan 53 Concord-Carlisle 51 (OT)
11:00 a.m. games
Wachusett 65 Lyndon Institute 41
Bishop Feehan 62 Wayland 29
12:00 p.m. games
Wachusett 70 Wayland 33
Lyndon Institute 57 Silver Lake 55
Concord-Carlisle 51 Medford 38
Single elimination tournament
Silver Lake 52 Wayland 45
Concord-Carlisle 52 Lyndon Institute 41
Bishop Feehan 78 Medford 61
Wachusett 89 Silver Lake 61
Concord-Carlisle 60 Bishop Feehan 57
Wachusett over Concord-Carlisle
Justin Bowker, 6'6", Junior, Wachusett
- Justin had the play of the tournament when he drove the lane against Lyndon Institute and dunked over two players drawing the foul as well. He is long, has nice touch from 15 ft. in and is very active on the glass. Definitely a player to keep an eye on in Central mass this season
Jamir Henderson, 5'11", Senior, Concord-Carlisle
- The best guard at the shootout, Jamir has increased his range and has much improved body control going to the basket from last season. He will be the focal point of a solid C-C team and will be one of the top performers in the DCL.
Frank Oftring, 6'4", Junior, Bishop Feehan
- A solid player with a great touch from outside. Made a number of threes during the shootout and will have to play big this season with Feehan moving up to the D2 South this year.
Mason Lantz, 6'0", Senior, Lyndon Institute (VT)
- An underrated point guard who is getting attention from schools in VT. He has range from deep and can get his shot off quickly. Strong and more athletic than he looks, he will be one of the better players in Vermont this year.
John Dor, 5'11", Senior, Concord-Carlisle
- a hip injury kept him out of the championship game, but his ability to get to the basket, run the floor, and rebound over bigger players was impressive. Had a solid run of games until he got hurt.
Honorable Mention - Ryan Fors (Wachusett), Jay Cobb (Lyndon Institute), Austin Burlone (Bishop Feehan), Josh O'Neil (Silver Lake)
About our blog
Our blog replaces the former "Articles" page on the site and gives our readers a chance to comment. Enjoy!